Keys to Staying Safe and Mobile in Florida
You hold the keys to your transportation future and by visiting our website you have made the first step in learning more about staying safe and mobile in Florida.
The Safe Mobility for Life Coalition offers the following tips, to help Floridians continue to meet their personal mobility needs to remain safe, independent, and active in your community as an aging road user:
Understand the impact that aging can have on your safe driving skills:
- Specific driving skills such as vision, memory, strength, flexibility, and quick reaction time decline as we age, but how soon varies from person to person.
- Learn where your safe driving skills are now, take a self assessment test or find a Driver Rehabilitation Specialist near you to get an evaluation.
- Talk to your doctor about conditions and medications that may affect your driving.
Learn how to stay proactive about your safe driving skills:
- Take a certified driver safety course.
- Attend a CarFit safety event.
- Read Florida's Guide for Aging Drivers.
Plan for a safe transition from driving while remaining active:
- Learn how to start a conversation when concerned about someone's driving.
- Complete our Aging in Place checklist to recognize how well your current or future community meets your mobility needs to successfully age in place.
- Learn what transportation options are available in your community, start by visiting our Find a Ride page.
Whether you are an older adult, friend or family member (living in or out of Florida), health care professional, law enforcement, local government, engineer/planner, safety advocate, or aging service provider, you should be able to find all the information you need to improve the safety, access, and mobility for Florida's aging road users, right here on our website. However, if you don't find what you are looking for, please email and let us know!